GP Healthcare Alliance are working in partnership with the local acute trust (Basildon Hospital on behalf of Southend Hospital and Broomfield Hospital) to establish a Teledermatology service in General Practice. As part of the initial pilot, two practices have been identified to support the implementation of this project before wider implementation across South East Essex. The aim of this service is reduce unnecessary referrals into the acute trust and to provide patients with support in primary care. Training is offered to upskill the primary care staff in the use of dermascopes to enhance their knowledge to provide a better service to patients. Practices that are participating in the pilot will have access to consultant dermatologists to review images that are captured through the dermascopes and to advise of the best treatment plan for that individual patient.
Training and Education – Dermatology
GP Healthcare Alliance are subcontractors of Basildon and Thurrock University Hospital (BTUH) to provide level 1-3 training on community dermatology to raise awareness to member practices for South East Essex CCGs. This forms part of the wider integrated community dermatology service commissioned by the CCG with BTUH. The aim is for GPHA to work with BTUH dermatology consultants to gain a better understanding of all inappropriate referrals from GPs to About Health and BTUH. GPHA is expected to oversee and coordinate a varied program of educational activities/events to support GPs in the initial management and diagnosis of patients in primary care.
- Promoting competencies and training linked to GP revalidation
- E-learning packages and resources for the most commonly seen skin problems
- Training to help distinguish between potentially malignant and non-malignant disease
- ‘GP Champions’ where a GP from practices is identified as the main point of contact for the practice providing education, feedback and key messages from the wider dermatology service
- Training sessions for GPs and practice staff to participate in to enhance their knowledge of dermatology conditions